Location of the tonsils
Tonsil reduction with laser
Child’s breathing before and after tonsil reduction with laser and adenoid removal
What are they?
The tonsils are two masses of tissue (lymphoid tissue) that are found on the left and right side of the back of the throat.
The main function of the tonsils is to produce defences called antibodies. The amount of anti-bodies produced by the tonsils will be the same, irrespective of their size.
What conditions can affect the tonsils?
- Recurring infections such as tonsillitis accompanied by fever and/or pus-filled spots. The treatment for tonsillitis will depend on each case, involving either medication or surgery.
- Enlargement of the tonsils (hypertrophy). Hypertrophy can result in various health issues, such as snoring, dental problems, hyperactivity, etc. (see “Snoring in children” section).
How are they treated?
The main advantages of laser-assisted tonsil reduction are that:
- It is a painless procedure;
- No haemorrhaging. Haemorrhaging is a complication that arises in 6.7% of all tonsillectomies performed using the conventional technique;
- A small portion of the tonsil tissue is preserved, allowing the tonsils to continue performing their function: the production of antibodies;
- It can be performed at any age, even on small children;
- The procedure is so straightforward that it only requires a hospital stay of several hours.
Thanks to the laser procedure, within a maximum of 72 hours breathing returns to normal, with the absence of snoring, sweating and forced postures as the enlargement or hypertrophy of the tonsils and/or adenoids has been corrected.
Tonsil reduction with radiofrequency treatment
Benefits of tonsillitis laser surgery
El niño roncador. El niño con síndrome de apnea obstructiva del sueño.
Dr. Jordi Coromina. Otorrinolaringólogo de Hospital Quirón Teknon.
Snoring in children
Doctor Jordi Coromina and Eduard Estivill have published the book “Snoring in children”, which informs about obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome and the latest advances in its laser treatment in the field.